Saturday, March 24, 2007

Chase Two: Mistakes Were Made

Yesterday I said that the magnificent supercell I had captured had gone linear. It didn't. It simply reformed a bit to the north and rolled right over Eddy and Lea counties and Tatum, New Mexico, with 2-inch hailstones and a tornado. Several other tornadoes were spotted, none of them by me. I mentally kicked myself for the entire 280-mile drive home last night, out of a total of 668 miles covered on this chase.

Here is the complete photo series of the Tatum supercell, the big one that got away:












This is a close to 2-inch hailstone dropped by this storm on NM Highway 203 between Tatum and Portales, NM.


The result of severe weather. This truck slid off the hail-covered road. The passengers were ok.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger lisa said...

I love these pictures! Very informative, and although I'm fascinated by weather and storms, I'd NEVER have the guts to do this! (I was in a tornado as a small child-still quite fearful.) Thanks for the posts so I can watch from a safe distance! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home